Thanks to Kodi, you can enjoy access to a great deal of entertainment and combining it with Chromecast allows you to enjoy a fantastic streaming experience. Chromecast is Google’s streaming solution and it is a very popular device. Many people wants to take full advantage of Chromecast’s functionality by installing Kodi on it. You will be glad to know that this is possible and in this guide, we will tell you what are the steps that you need to follow in order to do it. It is actually fairly simple and in this guide, you will learn how to cast Kodi on Chromecast using Windows, Mac and Android. The bad news is that iOS devices are not supported, but still, you will be able to use the other platforms.
How to install Kodi on Chromecast via Android
There are two ways to setup Kodi on Chromecast. One of them involves downloading the necessary apps from the Google Play Store. Although this method is not the fastest, it is the preferred way since it will help you to save your Android device’s battery in the long run, particularly when you compare it to the second option. Let’s start with the instructions for this method.
1. First you need to download and install the below apps on your Android device:
ES File Explorer
In addition, you will need to download the PlayFactoryCore XML file.
Open the ES File Explorer and head to Settings, then select Display Settings. Mark Show Hidden Files.
2. From the upper bar, choose the search function and enter: playcorefactory.xml.
3. Click on the file and choose Copy from the lower bar.
4. Return to ES File Explorer home.
5. Now go to Local Storage, the Android, Data and org.xbmc.kod, then Files, .kodi and userdata.
6. Paste the playercorefactory.xml file here.
7. Next, launch Kodi and choose the video that you want to cast to your Chromecast. The Localcast app will be opened automatically.
8. Choose the Chromecast device. Then select play.
That is it. Now you will be able to play videos via the Chromecast app.
The second method to install Kodi on Chromecast for Android is faster, but the downside is that it will drain the battery life from your device quicker.
- Download the Googlecast app to your Android and install it if you haven’t done so yet.
- Open the Googlecast app and select Cast Video/Audio from the menu. The menu is the three horizontal lines.
- Choose your Chromecast device under the Cast to option.
- Open the Kodi app and choose the video you wish to watch.
- The video will stream to your TV device now.
While the second method takes only a few steps, you will need to keep your Android device on to be able to continue streaming the video. It is not possible to use your Android for other tasks while you continue using it to cast Kodi to Chromecast.
How to install Kodi on Chromecast for Mac and Windows
- The first thing you need to do is to install the Chrome browser if this hasn’t been done before.
- Install the Chromecast extension to Chrome browser.
- Then install Kodi on your Mac or PC.
- Open the Chrome browser
- Click on the Chromecast icon in browser’s far right corner. Select Cast to.
- Select Cast Desktop.
- Open Kodi and select the video that you wish to watch. This should now cast to Chromecast on your TV.
How to install Kodi on Chromecast – Additional information
There is one more thing that is very important to keep in mind when it comes to Kodi. If you want to get the most out of this media software and enjoy access to even more content to stream, make sure that you use a VPN. With a VPN, you will be able to get around any blocks, including censorship, geographical restrictions and networks filters. A VPn disguises your IP address and allows you to appear as if you were in a different location. In addition, when you use a VPN, your entire internet traffic is protected with encryption, which prevents third-party apps from seeing what you are doing when you are connected to the internet. While it is advisable that you stay away from apps that provide access to copyrighted content without the proper authorization, if you choose to do so, make sure that you use a VPN service. A VPN protects the privacy and security of your data, so nobody else will see what content you are accessing. In addition, you can get around restrictions and enjoy the content that you want, no matter where you are. Here the VPN services that we recommend.
ExpressVPN is known as a provider that offers high quality and it is also incredibly fast. When you choose ExpressVPN as your provider, you get to overcome restrictions easily by connecting to one of the servers available in over 90 countries. ExpressVPN doesn’t keep logs of your activities and it uses high level encryption to protect your information.
IPVanish is another solution that is worth considering, it is fast, effective and easy to use. In addition, it offers high security and it doesn’t keep any logs of your online traffic. You can bypass restrictions thanks to its advanced network of servers. IPVanish is in charge of its own network, which enables it to offer reliable performance. You can connect to servers in over 60 countries.
NordVPN operates from Panama. It is committed to protect your internet traffic from spies, eavesdroppers and anyone who wants to see what you are up to. You can simply connect to one of the servers in its network and enjoy top protection. NordVPN has servers in over 60 countries and it is a zero logs provider. This means that it doesn’t keep any logs at all, which makes it an appealing solution for privacy conscious users.